Functional Skills are practical skills in English, Maths and ICT (information and communications technology – or technologies) for all learners aged 14 and above. Functional Skills provide an individual with essential knowledge, skills and understanding that will enable them to operate confidently, effectively and independently in life and work.
Functional skills are learning tools that enable students to:
- apply their knowledge and understanding to everyday life
- engage competently and confidently with others
- solve problems in both familiar and unfamiliar situations
- develop personally and professionally as positive citizens who can actively contribute to society.
Functional Skills are important because they provide young people and adults with the skills, knowledge and understanding that they will need in order to progress and succeed in education, work and life.
Functional Skills are available to all learners and the suite of qualifications can be tailored to you no matter what your starting level is. Working on Functional Skills helps to develop and secure the broader range of aptitudes, attitudes and behaviours that will enable students to make a positive contribution to the communities in which they live and work.
- Representing – making sense of a situation and representing it mathematically.
- Analysing – processing and using maths.
- Interpreting – interpreting and communicating the results of analysis.
ICT (information and communications technology – or technologies)
- Use of ICT systems.
- Finding and selecting information.
- Developing, presenting and communicating information.
- Speaking and listening – making an oral presentation or report.
- Reading – reading and understanding information and instructions.
- Writing – writing accurately so that meaning is clear.
The starting point for the course will be a diagnostic assessment to establish current skill levels and a tailored programme will be developed with your tutor to enable you to build skills at your own pace (through development of an individual learning plan) and you will receive support at every stage.
You can complete the course via online portals and webinars as well as learner forums or you can physically attend support workshops. The choice of learning mode is yours.